Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tah Dah!!!!

I have been practicing for retirement for over a year now. Travel was always the number one thought for retirement. Teaching for over 33 and a half years was a great time. I really thought it would be hard to leave this profession. Leaving the people and the students probably was the hardest. My staff put on a great production for the four retirees.



These four played the roles of the four retirees.
The actor playing me is wearing a Volleyball
referee shirt, eating vegetables(carrot, cob of corn,
and an eggplant-yes an eggplant(raw) He said
he didn't feel that great that evening.

Like I said, I have been practicing retirement for a little while. Last March, one of the other retirees and myself(with our wives) took 21 students to France and Belgium. We visited many of the battle sites of WWI and WWII and also took the group to cemeteries. We visited the Legion and they gave us some commemorative wreaths to lay at these places. We were able to set up groups of three students to place the wreath at each of the cemeteries we visited.



















Laying a wreath at the
Beaumont-Hamel battle site












The group at Juno Beach Centre in
Normandy










Our group at the Menin Gate in Ypres. Each night,
with the exception of the time of German occupation
during WWII, a ceremony takes place here to
remember the fallen soldiers of WWI who do not
have an actual grave. We got to take part in the ceremony
thanks to our Tour Guide.
One of the highlights of the trip.


Of course, I was still in my last year of teaching. But if you talk with the secretaries at school, they say that all I ever did was travel. I needed to retire to get that done.














No comments: